Sunday, April 3, 2011

I DID IT... 13.1... my first half marathon....

Today I completed something I have always wanted to do. Something I have trained for since January. I completed my first half marathon... I can't believe it really I RAN 13.1 miles!!! I started my day very early this morning and traveled to Talledaga for the run. I was nervous the whole way there... I worried about dumb stuff really... I was so afraid I was not going to finish in the 4 hr time limit, I was worried that I would not know what to do {since it was my first}, and I was so affraid I was going to have an "accident" during the race! All of which were dumb bc I finished with a little over an hour to spare, the trail was very well marked no chance in getting lost all u have to do was run, and there were portapotties all over the route and I did not even need one afterall! Once the race started I was not nervous anymore I was excited! I started out slow with hopes to keep a good pace I did well until about mile 3 and for some reason no matter how many miles I running I always struggle with miles 3 and 4. I got into a good grove for mile 5 and 6 but them when I got to mile 7 we were running back on the track and people were actually finishing and you could hear the announcer announcing their names and times... I could not believe people were finishing in less than an hour and a half... That was hard to hear I was thinking oh my I am only half way done and these people are finished... So I just cranked my tunes up on my iPod and drowned it out and just ran...mile 8 was good and I missed the sign for mile 9 and I was thinking oh my where is that sign this is the longest mile and then when I saw that I was at mile 10 I was all excited! Double digits!!! Mile 11 was probably the roughest that is when I really thought oh my I am going to die... My right foot was hurting and my left knee and hip flexer were hurting... Then there was a water station with oranges OH SWEET JESUS that was the BEST orange slice I have ever had {and I don't even really like oranges} I was struggling through mile 12 and 13 but then when I saw my family and the finish line I was good to go and I made it! My finishing time was 2:56.57 I was really wanting to finish it closer to 2hrs 30 min but I hit that about mile 11 and I knew that was not going to happen so then my goal became before 3 hrs and I made it! I was actually surprised at how hard running 13.1 miles really was... Whoever said you can run 10 miles and your adrenaline will carry you the rest of the way is a BIG FAT LIER... The next time I train I will run 13 miles... Just so you know 10 miles is not going to do it for you... Just saying! And you marathon runners who have run 26.2... I don't know how you did it... My hat goes off to you for sure!! I am also a little surprised at the toll it look on my body today... I am hurting from the waist down and I am walking like a 90 year old man and I am whipped to say the least... I am a little fearful of tomorrow too! I will say I am very proud of myself {is it bad to be proud of yourself... Oh well hope not} for completing my first half marathon!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you!!!! What a huge accomplishment! Can't wait to see the new sticker for your car :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly - you should be so proud. Running 13.1 miles is a major accomplishment. I didn't come down from the clouds for a while! I am proud of you for sticking with it, even when we bailed on you :)!

    Leigh Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome shelly!!!!! I'm so proud of you!! I'm glad to hear you finished and I loved reading the "play by play".... great job!!! You have inspired me!!!

    ReplyDelete